Using fresh herbs makes this dish come alive. If you aren’t already growing your own herbs, they are so easy to grow on your patio or in your kitchen window! Look for small starter plants at your plant nursery in spring and you can enjoy herbs in lots of recipes.
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 8-ounce package cracked Freekeh (1 cup dry or about 2 cups cooked)
- 1 12.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes in garlic and olive oil (or any kind of diced tomatoes)
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut into chunks
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped in large pieces
- 1-2 small or medium yellow squash, chopped in large pieces
- 1 4-ounce package of feta cheese
- Sea salt, fresh cracked pepper to taste
- A dash or two of red chili flakes or cayenne pepper
1. In a large skillet, add the first 8 ingredients and heat on high until mixture nearly boils. Then reduce down to medium, add chicken and cover. Allow to simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and making sure the chicken is covered with liquid to keep it from drying out.
2. Add the zucchini, squash and crumbled feta and cover. Allow it to cook for about 10 minutes or more. Once chicken is fully cooked and vegetables are tender, serve!