ROSEMARY SAGE STUFFING
- 1 8 oz. pkg Cracked Freekeh
- 6 cups, 1 inch cubes of Rye & White country style bread (3 cups each)
- 8 ½ cups of chicken, turkey or veggie broth
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup of Wild rice
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter or vegan buttery spread
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 ribs of celery, sliced.
- 4 cups assorted mushrooms of your choice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh Sage
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh Parsley
1. Cook Freekeh as directed on package. When done, stir & set aside for later.
While Freekeh is cooking…
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until dry & golden, 15-20 minutes. Set aside for later.
3. In a medium pot, over high heat, bring 4 cups of broth to a rolling boil then add wild rice. Stir well, cover, reduce heat & let simmer for 60 minutes. Stir rice, remove from heat and set aside for later
4. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion & celery, stirring often until tender, about 8 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high, add mushrooms & cook, stirring often until liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes. Stir in herbs, salt & pepper.
5. In Crock Pot; add cooked Freekeh, wild rice, mushroom & herb mixture, croutons & remaining 2 cups of broth. Stir well, cover & cook on - low setting for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Stir & serve. Keep warm in crock pot.