Mandarin Freekeh Salad
Makes 4-6 servings
1 8-ounce package cracked freekeh
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 head of a small purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 head of a small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 package shredded carrot
- 1-2 small cans Mandarin orange wedges, drained
- 1 cup sliced almonds (or substitute chopped peanuts or cashews)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (including stems)
- 1-1 1/2 cups Thai peanut sauce
- 4 t. toasted sesame seed oil (or more if desired)
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- Pour water or broth and the freekeh in a saucepan and bring to a boil, cooking for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes until the freekeh is tender. Once cooked, remove from heat and place in a large bowl to cool.
- Mix vegetables together in a large bowl with a spoon. Add the peanut sauce, toasted sesame seed oil, and rice vinegar. Mix gently. Add in the freekeh, cilantro, and nuts, stirring gently.
- Serve room temperature or chilled.
Optional: great with diced shrimp or tofu.
For extra spice: add a few shakes of cayenne pepper, ginger, and garlic!
Time saver: Use a bag of pre-shredded cabbage