KALE WALNUT CRANBERRY SALAD
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 1 8-ounce package cracked freekeh
- (1 cup dry or about 2 cups cooked)
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried tart cherries
- 3 cups chopped curly kale
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup apple cider or white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard or dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Whisk together dressing ingredients until blended.
Pour water and the freekeh in a saucepan and bring to a boil, cooking for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes until the freekeh is tender. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Chop the kale and shred the carrots. Combine kale, carrots, cranberries, walnuts and freekeh in a large bowl and mix with a spoon. Add in the dressing a little at a time to coat all ingredients. Lastly, add in the crumbled goat cheese and toss gently.
Serve immediately or slightly chilled
Optional: Top with grilled chicken