- 1 cup cracked freekeh
- 6 eggs or 1 per serving
- 1 15.5 ounce can of pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package of soft tortillas - multigrain, flour, or corn
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup salsa, plus more for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno, diced and seeded
- olive oil or other cooking oil
- In a saucepan, empty 1 cup freekeh into 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add in the garlic and 1/4 cup of the salsa, then cover. SImmer on medium heat for 20-15 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the freekeh is tender.
- While the freekeh is cooking, add olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add in diced peppers, diced onion, and hot peppers. Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the remaining salsa, beans, and the cooked freekeh. Stir ingredients until mixed and remove from heat, cover, and set aside. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate saucepan, heat up oil on medium-high heat. Fry eggs over easy and set aside until you have enough made to serve one person.
- Place bean and freekeh mixture on the plate and top with the fried egg. Add additional toppings, such as diced avocado, salsa fresca, or hot sauce, and eat immediately.